The Old Luggage Van Holiday Carriage
St Germans - Cornwall - PL12 5LU
Journey to the past without leaving home comforts behind! Our pet friendly, award winning Old Luggage Van is
located in an enclosed garden adjoining the station platform at St Germans, in
South East Cornwall, UK. Great views of trains on the adjacent
GWR Plymouth to Penzance main railway line make it perfect for rail enthusiasts or as a romantic getaway for couples.
In an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Special Scientific Interest, The Old Luggage Van is a great base for your bird watching, cycling or walking holiday. We include lots of books on walking in the carriage, and the coast path is only a short bus ride away. The wood burner keeps the carriage cosy throughout the colder months (or you can use the electric heating) and all fuel is provided.
Passenger Luggage Van No. 1353 went into service in
December 1896 having been built for the London and South Western Railway (LSWR)
at Eastleigh. It was recovered from a site at Wadebridge, Cornwall in 1995 where
it had been since being withdrawn from service in August 1932. It is now mounted
on a reconstruction of the original chassis and has been restored externally to
the original colour scheme. For more, look at our OLV History page.
The inside has been sympathetically converted into a cosy holiday home that even those that aren't madcap rail enthusiasts love. Pets are welcome and will enjoy the enclosed garden and the ten acres of private woodland just a few minutes walk away. Do have a look at our pets page.
The van measures 24 feet by 8 feet and offers the following facilities :
- Flushing toilet with washbasin and shaver socket
- Shower room
- Galley kitchen with fridge, hob and microwave with convection oven
- Lounge diner with TV/DVD and hi-fi, fireside chairs and wood burning stove c/w kettle
- Wireless and wired free broadband internet access
- Double bedroom
- Ample electric heating. All logs and electricity are included in holiday price.
- Enclosed garden with seating and BBQ facilities
- Free on-site car parking space
- Laundry facilities and deep freeze
St Germans is a small village with a population of 600. Only a ten minute reasonably level walk from the carriage is a great village pub, The Eliot Arms, (01503 232733) serving Cornish ales and food.
Beside the Eliot Arms is the St Germans Community Shop and Post Office (01503 232887) a general store with an excellent range of stock including food, household supplies, newspapers and magazines, local products, alcohol and tobacco amongst many other things. It is open 7 days a week: Mon to Fri 8am to 1pm and 3pm to 6pm; Sat and Sun 8am to midday with the Post Office open the same hours as the shop.
The railway station at St Germans was built in 1858 to a design by Brunel. Although the main railway station building is now lived in by your hosts, the platform is still in use - served by 12 stopping trains per day each way including 3 direct London trains.
The St Germans Public Transport Users group produce a Train Timetable for St Germans - or you can like St Germans Rail Users Group on Facebook for the latest news and up to date information. For much more information on St Germans and the environs, please visit our St Germans page.
Book your holiday on-line now. Just click on your start date in the calendar below to first check prices and then book your holiday in minutes. If you prefer, we are pleased to accept telephone enquiries and bookings at any time on 01503 230 783 or 07776 261 192.
Notes When Booking
- All bookings are accepted subject to our Terms and Conditions
- Changeover day for week stays in The Old Luggage Van is usually Friday. Short breaks normally run from Monday to Friday (4 nights) or Friday to Monday (3 nights). We can be flexible in the quieter months and last minute so please call us (01503 230 783 or 07776 261 192) or email
- The deposit required when booking is £150 with the balance due 12 weeks before the holiday start. If you are booking within 12 weeks of the your holidays start date, full payment will be required.
- Short breaks are offered throughout the winter period, and within twelve weeks of the holiday start date at other times. Sometimes it is not possible to book these online so if you cannot find the break you want, please call Lizzy on 07776 261192 to discuss your requirements.
- Pets are welcome (except in Mevy) subject to our Terms and Conditions and payment of the appropiate fee of £15 per pet.